Saturday, June 23, 2007

So THIS is the monsoon

No GPS tracks or exotic photos today; I've been kept housebound by the slow, steady drizzle of the monsoon. I had just finished hanging up a load of sheets on the roof when I felt the first drops; those sheets, along with the load of underwear I had just started, are now hanging (notice I did not say drying) in my living room.


Ah, well. Sleeping on dry sheets is overrated.

We've had a lot of rain this week; on Thursday night it took about an hour and a half for Praveen to drive me from my office to Hampi for dinner (a restaurant chosen specifically because it's on the way home) - a trip that usually takes about 20 minutes. Traffic lights were out (not that they do that much good anyway...), roadways were narrowed because of puddles, and - critically - flooding made certain roads entirely unusable. As it was, I was amazed the engine of our poor little Indicab didn't drown.

All this rain is making the plants happy. The tree outside my second floor porch seems to want to invade the house.



And here's the view to the north, into the open area near the house.




It's a lot greener, and much less dusty, than it's been for the past few months. I've been sleeping without A/C (yea!!!), although I've been running it a bit today - not so much because of heat, but because I want to get dry. Anything more than minor activity triggers a clammy sweat and soaked T-shirt. Yech.

At least I have a lot to keep me busy; I'm doing a presentation at work on Monday and I've decided to completely rewrite it.

No comments:

Post a Comment