Sunday, September 27, 2020

The Eden Project

 Today Katy and I traveled a few miles west of Fowey to the site of the Eden Project. It's a little hard to describe exactly what it is, but essentially it is a collection of interconnected geodesic domes containing non-native biomes: one set for a tropical rain forest, another for a Mediterranean climate. The domes were constructed in a reclaimed clay pit. It's a fascinating project.

We started the day with a beautiful sunrise over the eastern bank of the Fowey River, where Idril remains moored.


After breakfast we took the dinghy to shore and met a taxi that took us to the project. Our first view of the site was pretty amazing.

The domes lie at the bottom of the site, and to get to the entrance we took an indirect path that wound around the perimeter, allowing us to view some of the unusual sculptures scattered around the site.







Once inside the domes, plants (and occasionally birds) became the main attraction.







As Stephanie puts it: "The Brits really know how to do gardens."

I liked these murals depicting dances.



After several hours of browsing we got a ride back to Fowey and walked back to the dinghy dock. It was late afternoon, and I took this non-standard selfie.

Today is our wedding anniversary, and once back aboard our floating home we made a celebratory dinner.


There's no way I would ever have imagined, 34 years ago, that Katy and I would one day be living aboard a sailboat and wandering the shores of England. Life has been very generous with us.



5 comments:

  1. Yes, Happy Anniversary! Thanks for sharing all of the beautiful pictures, stories, and your awesome adventures! Shadow pic is Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thanks for sharing. Only one thing missing in your lovely dinner pic - more beautiful glasses! Thanks so much for sharing those with us! We just received them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting domes and gardens! A lovely way to spend a special day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jerry and Katy, this is Mark Stern- you toured my GX, Wings of Desire. Great to see you enjoying Idril! My sailing plans for this year got shelved until next Spring. I just set up a private owners group on Facebook- we're already 3 members- please wander over and join us! You can also PM me there or try emailing me at my full name at mac dot com. Sorry if this is a repeat, I tried before and my note disappeared

    ReplyDelete