Sunday, July 1, 2007

Back to Charminar

I finally overcame my various concerns about distance and excessive foreignness and biked back to Charminar. I haven't been there since my first trip to Hyderabad in 2005, when Haranadh and Murali took me sightseeing.


Haranadh and Murali at Charminar, April 30, 2005



Anyway, I got an early morning start and was home around lunchtime. GPS track here. Or you can just look at the pictures:

Return to Charminar


By the way, if you haven't been looking at the GPS tracks, I suggest you give it a try. Clicking on the little markers will bring up a picture associated with that marker (in most cases; sometimes I mark things I didn't photograph), and maybe even a short description. Clicking on the resulting photo will take you to a larger version of the photo, suitable for printing or whatever.

Riding around in "the old city" gives you a very pointed understanding of how bad cars have been for Hyderabad (and presumably other Indian cities). The streets in the old city are too narrow to allow much auto traffic, so most of the traffic is on foot or two wheeler (powered or not), with some rickshaws. It flows very well, and for the most part no one is moving fast enough to make the traffic really scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment